Friday, November 29, 2013

Big Orange

Maybe it's because of Thanksgiving or something -- the grocery store had some huge orange tulips.  Tulips in November???  These kept beckoning me, so I finally decided to go for it even though I heard tulips are very difficult to paint because they move around with just the slightest change in sunlight.  Guess what, they do move around - almost like they're two legged!  I figured if I work really fast and get it captured in an hour I'd be fine, but nooooo. . . .    So here's my attempt starting from painting live to stopping to take a few emergency reference photos to keep it together.  What a challenge.  Including a reference photo to show how far apart the tulips ventured in a very short time, like 20 minutes!  It was fun watching them dance all week.  Get a bunch, put them in a well lit room and enjoy the show!


Tulip Dance
click here to bid









Reference photo - perhaps the title should be
 "she's just not that into you!"


LOL. . .  these were so beautiful, orange with yellow edges, but quite dramatic when put on stage.  One was literally head down limp so I cut it off and put it into a small vase - within minutes it was poker-straight as they say and then two hours later it was making a left turn to the window.  such characters!  Who knew? 

Happy Thanksgiving - it is special to celebrate this uniquely American holiday.  We are so very lucky.  

2 comments:

  1. I know you're very busy, but I was hoping to see your latest work. This is my chance to tell you that people do read your blog, and I, for one, am looking forward to your next post. I love seeing the pictures. And, I love seeing what you have to say about the pictures, creating them, and whatever else is going on. You're an inspiration for me to continue with my own creative endeavors. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleta - you are too kind! I am seriously hoping to get back into the groove over the holidays - your comment boosts my inspiration! I have only one painting since this blog. . . better get busy and post it. thanks so much for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete