Thursday, September 3, 2015

30 in 30 Cool Down - Day 4

All those sunflowers caused me to look for someplace to cool off.  What could be better than a pond of waterlilies!  Love these scenes because they are so tranquil, serene and so wonderfully quiet.  

For some reason water lilies are quite challenging to paint. Perhaps because the mood is soft but all the edges seem to be so sharp and hard - even the shadows are darker than you’d expect coming through what appears to be translucent petals.  Hmmmm. . . .guess not.  Actually I think the petals are quite dense so maybe knowing that, I'll have a bit more luck.  My first art teacher kept saying “paint what you see, not what you think you see.”  A life-long journey that will be.   I will try another one tomorrow ‘cause it’s all about practice, practice, practice and I love water lilies and the amazing colors that follow them around!

I'm also super happy to mention that my Day 1 On the Fence and my Day 3 Yellow Coneflower were both selected as DailypPaintworks Auction picks! Not something that happens very often and then to have two so close together - yay.  Guess painting more really does help.

Sunlit Waterlily
Click here to purchase - Daily Paintworks


The reference for this painting is from Nichola B Sunlit Waterlily on PaintMyPhoto.

Thanks for sharing the journey.  Enjoy - life is joy we make one moment at a time,